Wednesday, February 24, 2016

UFO's, ghosts, & haunted houses



This is the posting you have all been waiting for  - UFO's, ghosts, & haunted houses.  But first let me explain the first two photos.  Shortly after leaving Salt Lake International the aircraft, basically following the I-15 corridor,  passed over Scipio, Utah.  

Being an amateur geologist I take a lot of pics hoping to capture interesting landscape features - ones that I can use in boy scout merit badge class presentations.  This one is really cool, as it shows the little central Utah town of Scipio from 30,000 feet in the air.      


When we talk about how populated the Wasatch Front area is becoming, I often tease grandma about us moving to Scipio to get away-from-it-all.  At first she took these suggestions seriously, but now she now accepts my badgering as a bothersome joke.  

Actually, this area would make a great setting for a action/spy novel, considering it's closeness to potential military activities.  Maybe someday, if I finish my first novel, I will endeavor to pursue my idea.   

Anyway, just in the moments before, I used the zoom feature of my camera as we passed over Scipio. This pic shows great examples of water erosion and a couple of fault lines, if you know what you are looking for. 



Moving over Arizona, I caught some curious objects on my camera.  We were well above them and it appears as though they are flying in some sort of formation, well above the river.  Could it be that I actually photographed some UFOs? 



Haunted houses?  Come on now!

In San Diego, there is actually a haunted house tour, which we didn't take.  We did visit the Whaley museum which some say is haunted. I took many pictures inside, but didn't capture anything blatantly obvious;  however I did observe that the glass barriers over the displays, along with the natural lighting of the house may be the cause of interesting ghostly views. No matter what, this place is definitely a worthwhile historical place to visit.




Four negative images appear over the fireplace.  With a little bit of imagination, they appear as dark ghosts.   



A side view of the fireplace clearly shows that the mantel drapery is not haunted with ghosts.  



The dining room was dark, but the kitchen shown behind the glass was very bright.  In the following photo what appears to be a whitish, ghostly form is manifested in front of the wall.  Could this be a ghost?  Also there is a dark, shadowy human form that appears between the hanging picture and the window that is interesting.




Definitely not a ghost, this lovely docent agreed to a photo shot.  Notice the door and moldings are painted to look like hardwood.  Like the Mormon pioneers, the early residents of San Diego yearned for rich, decorative wood but none was available.  



Upstairs is an original little play house, with a raked floor. If I had lived in pioneer days, I would have loved to have seen an actual early-day Shakespearean performance there.  There are no ghosts hiding behind the drapes, and the raven you see perched on the table is only a cast.
  
Honestly, if you haven't at least heard of Edgar Allan Poe's 'The Raven,' then you have likely been living under a rock. This famous poem, written in 1845, made him extremely popular even in his own time, and I'm sure this poem was narrated on this stage.




The only other thing that I could find in this house that even came close to resembling a ghost was this picture of Anna Whaley.  It is located in the general store of the home.  To me she looks pretty scary. 




The only other scary photos I took were of Father Serra statues, located behind protective bars at Mission San Diego de Alcala.  I guess if you donate to him, he will take off his hat. 






Well, my next posting will conclude our San Diego experience.  Like always, it is good to return home in one piece.  We definitely left our Utah reality behind for a few days as we embraced new experiences, and we came back refreshed and grateful for a permanent home. 
































2 comments:

Mike McKea` said...

So, upon closer investigation.....I think the UFO's are actually pools of water reflecting the sun. I can especially see it with the spot on the lower left. The oddly shaped one in the center also fits in the geographic are it's in. What do I know?

Mike McKea` said...

So, upon closer investigation.....I think the UFO's are actually pools of water reflecting the sun. I can especially see it with the spot on the lower left. The oddly shaped one in the center also fits in the geographic are it's in. What do I know?