Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Mount Rushmore National Memorial!

"The Mount Rushmore National Memorial is a sculpture carved into the granite  face of Mount Rushmore near Keystone, South Dakota, in the United States. Sculpted by Danish-American Gutzon Borglum and his son, Lincoln Borglum, Mount Rushmore features 60-foot (18 m) sculptures of the heads of four United States presidents: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt   and Abraham Lincoln."   

Okay, I copied the above quote from Wikipedia; so what are you going to do, sue me?  Ha-ha, just kidding.  Really for not only a great description and also a comprehensive history of this wonderful landmark, you need to check out the following link:

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Rushmore

I personally took all of the following pics in this posting on my little camera, and I believe I got some that are a little different than the thousands found on the net.  Take a look and see if you agree!



Grandpa and Grandma Zucc.

Debbie and Mike.

Rushmore from inside the visitors center.

A model at the site depicting Mount Rushmore's intended final design.

Presidents framed by a tunnel opening.

The tunnel.

I love this pic.

Great shot of George and Abe.

I think this pic is artistic.

They look pretty serious.

Take note of Teddy's glasses.

Did you know that George had wooden teeth?

Abe would never tell a lie.

Jefferson is quite a handsome man.

These men were real statesmen.

Notice the pines growing on the talus slope.

Our trip to visit Mount Rushmore was fast-paced, but turned out great, as this was our first time in the Black Hills of South Dakota.  Trust me when I say that pics do not do justice to the magnificent beauty of this area.  You have to experience this place in person to really appreciate it's splendor.

Work on the Monument stopped in 1941 so one can assume that the pines on the slopes are 71 years old.  I wonder how a zucchini plant would do?

My next posting will feature Crazy Horse and Devils tower, so be sure to check back in a week or so.

2 comments:

katie said...

Great pictures!!!! It really is amazing. I'm looking forward to more!

Tamara Anderson said...

These pictures are grata, I like the different perspectives of each shot.