Tuesday, August 9, 2011

STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj-366oM6dk

Have you ever been to Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport?  Who really gets a kick out of a 5 hour layover in a gigantic airport?   For me, this stop was one of the highlights of our trip to Mexico.  I suppose my natural desire to experience new things, attributes to the forgoing statement.


Stairway to heaven!
 Let me explain why I liked this stop.  SKYLINK TRAIN!  This was awesome.  I had no idea this even existed before arriving, but almost immediately, upon entering terminal D, I noticed the highly visible skylink directional signs.  As Bev and I made our way to our assigned departing gate, we came upon the longest escalator I have ever seen.  I jokingly called it a "stairway to heaven."


One minute ride!
 After we got seated, I got the wander urge and decided to take the escalator.  I timed the ride at one minute, from bottom to top.  It took me to the third level where Skylink was located.  Feeling adventurous, I boarded the car and off I went, but got off at the first stop.  I made my way back to inform Bev of my discovery. 


Skylink is located way at the top.
 I soon realized that Skylink connects 5 terminals together, and if a traveler has a flight transfer, he must use this service.  After a little rest, Bev encouraged me to explore some more, so I ventured back up the escalator, and again boarded the trax-like train.  I ended up traveling past all 5 terminals, and crossing a freeway perhaps 3 times.  I don't know how far I traveled, but I'm guessing at least 5 miles.

When I got back, Bev was amazed that I had been so far from her without her realizing it.  But hey!  The warder lust!  Right?  In the meantime, Bev discovered a shop where we could buy a hot dog for about $2.00.

Dallas/Fort Worth International is like a little city with lots of restaurants, shops etc, but everything is really expensive, so we enjoyed our hot dogs, and with grateful hearts, counted our blessings. 
After returning to this airport from Mexico, Bev didn't mind at all pushing a cart of luggage.  She seemed so happy to be back in America where pushing shopping carts is taken for granted, by all happy consumers.



New friends


2 comments:

low bass said...

We went thru the same airport as you, but it was late at night (10:30 p.m. I believe) on a return flight from Florida with only a 45 minute layover, so didn't have much time to explore.



When we were in Atlanta's airport this spring, we had 3 hours in which to explore. It, like the one in Dallas, is in 5separate concourses. Their solution was to have an underground light rail between the various concourses. BUT, one could also choose to walk an extremely long hallway that paralleled the light rail line. We chose to do that and it took us about 20 minutes to traverse the entire 5 coucourses.



It's been a while since we've last seen you and Bev. We should get together some time.



Mike

All in a Day said...

It's amazing to me how each airport is different and cool. Sounds like you had a great time on your exploration. I also like checking airports out. Well, whenever I have the chance.