Tuesday, August 23, 2011

THE CABIN

I told Sharon that she was almost a member of our
family.  She along with Andy, Joe, Mike and Jeff were brave enough to finish the 100 mile Panguitch bike run.  When they arrived back at the cabin Saturday afternoon, they all took well deserved naps.

L>R:  Sharon, Andy, Joe, Sherry , Mike, Katie, Bev



"Look, I can spread my toes."

Sherry, Katie, myself (Grandpa Zucc) plus all the kids stayed at the cabin, enjoying good books, resting, talking, visiting the salamander pond, etc.  It was great.  I even caught Katie hiding under a blanket.  It seems that she is a little camera shy.  I don't know why. 

Afternoon napping is good.


"Please don't take my picture."

Greg and Jeff reading.

Kids at salamander pond.
 In the early afternoon, Greg and I ventured to the top of Brianhead peak.  At 11,307 feet, we had great views of the countryside below.  The cabin sits at almost 9,500 feet.  On top is little block building constructed in 1932 by the CCC.  It had an official survey marker in the floor dated 1957.  In 1995 it received a remodel upgrade.  It is really cool. 

Looking towards Cedar Breaks.

Shelter at Brianhead peak.

We played a lot of board games:  Go Fish, Quidler, Five Crowns, Old Maid, Greed, etc.  Katie was the Queen of the Quidler game.  She won twice, mainly by coming up with big words, but the third time, I won.  This made my day.  Ha-ha. 


Matthew really likes Old Maid.
I believe that the major attraction for the kids was using the motorbike, and the four wheelers.  They all wore helmets for which we were all grateful.  The only injury was to Erin.  She got a nice little burn on the inside of her knee. 

Matthew at 4 years old, can ride by himself.


Bells is ready to ride.
I worry about the kids, especially the younger ones when they ride by themselves, but I must say that Matty is really good at riding, especially for his age.  Erin told me that she didn't know how to put the brakes on in order to stop.  This perhaps could be the next lesson on of the adults could teach at the cabin.

Jason activates the chopper.


Jeff brought a little automated helicopter.  The kids really liked to fly it.  They actually got it to rise all the way to the upper loft. 


Flying high!
Now for the guy who made this little vacation possible, Jeff Davis!  He owns the cabin, and was gracious enough to lend the use of it to us.  On Friday he drove from Vegas to Brianhead in an old school bus with a bunch of boy scouts.  He stayed with them in another cabin just down the mountain a-ways.  I wish we all could be as kind and gracious as this gentle man.

The owner of the cabin.


6 comments:

katie said...

Such a great weekend! Ready for another game of Quiddler?

Anonymous said...

So great! You should have seen me and Joe floating in Steinaker Lake with both of our toes spread like that! Haha! Sherry

Anonymous said...

Bev McKea Looks like "snipe hunting", but I really know that it's "salamander hunting"!!

low bass said...

Bev McKea Looks like "snipe hunting", but I really know that it's "salamander hunting"!!

low bass said...

Julie Anderson cute!!! :D I am really missing all you guys!

Tamara Anderson said...

OK I would have won the Quiddler game if I were there! You know it! Sherry, I am not sure how you spread your toes like that, always been a mystery to me! Dad, Dayle looked at these pictures and got queezy just thinking about 12,000 feet. Ha ha. Great pictures. Looks like everyone had a GREAT time. I have never met Jeff, but he always seems like such a gracious guy and I think that's awesome! Love you guys!