Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Dinosaur National Monument



Friday, after piano lessons, Bev and I left for Vernal to visit Joe and Andy. We arrived there about 7:00 pm.  The next day, while Bev and I slept in, Joe and Andy left on their bicycles for a little 50 mile ride. They got back about the time we finished our morning showers and were ready for breakfast. Joe fixed crapes, and after-wards I went for a two mile walk around the neighborhood.  Only one dog barked at me, and I was thankful he was behind a fence.   


Paved walking trail behind Joe's house

"Nice dogie!"


Joe making crapes

Andy is making a point


When I got back we spent the rest of the day touring the newly refinished Dinosaur National Monument just past Jensen, Utah. We took Joe and Andy's friend, Sharon with us.

Sharon & Andy
Dinosaur National Monument has just reopened after a significant remodeling of the building.  I guess the original structure was beginning to slide and crack, to the point of being unsafe for visitors.  

I had visited this site many years ago, and it appears much the same, but I can see where the building has been reinforced with concrete etc.  Joe pointed out the massive new beams supporting the roof.  It is impressive!




Quarry building

The building sits on the Morrison formation

In my next posting, I will show the inside of the building, which covers the actual fossil rock in which dinosaur bones are both located and also excavated.  This blog seems to attract a small following of people from foreign countries, so just a word to you.  "If you are planing to visit the western part of the USA, be sure to include Dinosaur National Monument in your trip."  This place will totally amaze you!!!



3 comments:

Joey said...

It was a way fun weekend!

Tamara Anderson said...

This is a pretty impressive building. I haven't been there so I don't know what it looked like before, but I like how it goes with the natural surroundings, I didn't realize the Joe and Andy had a trail directly behind their house, that's pretty cool. Looks like you guys had a fun weekend indeed!

M W said...

Joe and Andie did a 50 mile bike ride before you had breakfast? When I did a 50 mile bike ride, it took me at least 5 hours to complete. Question: did they start out extra early or did you and Bev sleep in extra (extra) late?