Thursday, November 15, 2012

Soup and salad

What is better this time of year than a great soup and salad dinner?  So it was, last Monday evening!

L to R:  Richard, Pat, Jackie, Colleen, Bev, John E, John M., Nancy & Debbie.  Mike not in picture.


The occasion was just a harvest season get-to-gather, held in our basement family room, and the soups were incredibly good - chicken noodle, Italian sausage, potato, and autumn hamburger.  The salad was a tossed green delight, with ranch dressing, of course!  Homemade rolls and apple cider were served also.  To top off the meal was a fantastic German chocolate cake baked by Jackie.

A lot of mileage came from the dumb waiter joke that has made it's rounds for years.  Basically, the joke implies that we don't really need a dumb waiter, because my wife, Bev, already has one- moi.  Actually my wife and I have a wonderful, traditional marriage that has lasted over 4 decades.  Whenever someone asks what our secret is, I always say, "When she tells me to do something, I just shut up and do it."  Ha ha.   

Anyway after the main course, we played a couple of table games, mainly Fruit Basket and Greed.  I was surprised when I found out that I was the winner of Fruit Basket, being that I am probably the worst speller in the group, If not in the whole neighborhood!


Table setting

The table was set with Grandma Zucc's finest dinnerware, inlaid with 24 carat gold leaf, she says.  Notice the floating candles on both the table, and also the serving table.  This really made for a nice dinning atmosphere, when we turned the overhead lights down low.

Next week is Thanksgiving dinner!  Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

1 comment:

Tamara Anderson said...

Looks like a really fun evening!