Tuesday, October 9, 2018

A real Indian kiva




On the McConkie ranch is a real Indian kiva.  Andy, with her slim and fit frame, easily descended the ladder.  My descent was another story.  My shoulders just would not co-operate, and I got stuck.  This experience definitely proves that the Fremont Indians were very small people.     



Andy was shouting words of encouragement from inside the kiva, and Joe was overly enjoying the spectacle from the outside.  
   

"Come on, John! You can do it."  "You're almost there!"  "Only a little bit farther,"  she kept saying.  




My foot helplessly dangled between the rungs as I squirmed.  I finally gave up and reversed direction.  Jean McConkie, trying to be informational, said that 21 kindergarten kids made it to the bottom.   

Inside the kiva.


Jean took us on a tour of the out-shacks surrounding the kiva.  They contain all kinds of antiques and artifacts of which I will describe in the next posting.  You will find this very interesting!





   

No comments: