Monday, October 22, 2018

Kind of kooky



I know it seems kind of kooky putting a cemetery photo on social media.  But really now, the last time I checked I saw pics of:
  • just the whipping cream on a slice of pie, 
  • a bathroom selfie, 
  • and a totally weird guy standing on a beach holding a pistol.  


Located in Vernal.

Oh, the guy with the gun had 24 likes, 7 comments and 1 share.  Interesting, huh?

Anyway, please do not "defriend me,"  for I really do enjoy the playful "monkey business" that goes on.



Okay, how did the Rock Point Cemetery get its name?  My guess is from the above rock outcropping located really close by on the north boundary of Vernal.  Notice the flat slab in the middle.  It is loaded with petroglyphs, most of which are simple as pictured below.  To me they look like ladders, or perhaps humans with six decorative markings on their breastplates?


Joe told me that he and Andy discovered these while biking.
Located in a gully, on the same road just east of the outcropping, is more artwork.  It looks to be a little more advanced.

Pictograph - painted on rock surface.

Petroglyph - carved or pecked into the rock surface.










No comments: