Friday, March 30, 2012

Everything is so relative, isn't it?


Sherry, Greg and Jason

How does it feel to be 71?  Frankly, it turns out that the "golden years," aren't all  they are made out to be.  I think that getting older is really overrated.  Remember the movie, Cocoon?  Now that was a great show!  Next time we go to Saint George for a weekend, I think I will be looking for a hotel that has a swimming pool with a pulsing, glowing object at the bottom.  Ha ha.
   
Nick

One good thing about having smaller kids around it the fact that I can still hoodwink them into thinking I am 17 years old, instead of 71.  A great joke is to ask them what 1 + 1 is.  Thinking they are very smart, they will always answer 2.  "No, no.  It's addition," is my reply.  I keep asking the same question until they answer, "addition."  Then I say, "No, no, you silly goose, it is 2."

Jeff, Rachel and Bev

Really, it was so great to have family around for the combined birthday party at our house.  There was lots of smiles and fun.  Time really does seem to move faster as the years pass.  I remember time moving so slowly in my younger years.  The days just dragged by from one year to the next.  Waiting to be a year older was excruciating.
 
Erin

Finally the day came when I graduated from high school.  I felt so mature, so grown up.  I'm sure my good friend Bob felt that way also.  That fall I enrolled in junior college in the same town.  One day I drove past the old high school during lunch time, and all the kids looked so young and immature.  Wow, everything is so relative, isn't it?

Sam and Erin

Nowadays, my own kids, who are around 40 years old, still look like kids to me.  It is shocking to think that soon they will be grandparents.  So what does that make an old duffer like me?  Right, a great grandparent.

Rachel

One great thing about getting older is retirement.  The freedom it offers is unmatched.  No more busy schedules!  No more unnecessary worries!  No more pressures!  What a life!  I don't have to go to bed at a certain time!  I don't have to get up at a certain time each day!  I can go anywhere I want, and do anything I desire, within my means of course.

Katie

I must admit that all has gone well so far, considering some pressing health issues, but hey, we all have those no matter what our age may be.  Health is a relative issue, like time.  No matter what physical problem you have, there is always someone who is in worse shape than you.  It's like driving down the freeway!  No matter how fast you are going, someone is going faster.  Thank goodness we have good doctors that can fix our bodies.  

Matt playing Jimmy Neutron

Anyway the next 20 years are going to be interesting.

1 comment:

Tamara Anderson said...

Looks like you all had a great time! I am surprised to see Erin with a burger, did she eat it? Ha ha. Hope you and Mom had a Happy Birthday! Love you guys!