Saturday, April 21, 2012

On a collision course?



I didn't take the following photos, but they are really cool anyway.  By the way did you know that the Milky Way and the Andromeda Galaxies are on a collision course?

The Milky Way over Jackson Lake and Tetons at Grand Teton National Park on August 23, 2011 in Wyoming



Not to worry though!  If mankind can stick it out on Earth for another two billion years, our descendants may witness quite a show in the night sky.


Galaxy Collision  


Even if there is life on earth during the collision, the sun is scheduled to turn into a white dwarf at about the same time.  Maybe before our planet is burnt to a crisp, scientists will build a Star Trek type space vehicle (Enterprise) to transport some of us to another planet somewhere in space.


That would be cool, huh?  Imagine immigrating to another planet!  It would kind of be like our ancestors emigrating to this land from the old world several generations ago, to start a new life.


In the meantime, I think I'll just sit back and wonder about these things, knowing I won't be around in 40 years much less in 2 billion years.  


The only new life I will see immediately is the growing of the little walla walla onion starts Tammy sent to me for my birthday.  


"Grow, Grow little onions, for your future is ordained. On top of my grilled burger, sliced and juicy, your glorious flavor is sustained."  Grandpa Zucc poetry.  

4 comments:

M W said...

Like that top picture. I have a copy of it that I cropped horizontally so that I could use it as one of my screensaver pictures.

katie said...

I enjoy your poetry....and onions.

Tamara Anderson said...

THis looks like a fun date! I think I'm due for a turn! Haha, love you guys!

Tamara Anderson said...

That comment was for the date with Grandma and Grandpa! Haha.