Monday, November 21, 2011

Go Cougars!






"It's another Sonic Drive-In third down," the announcer boastfully declares over the P.A. system.  The crowd wildly cheers for the home team to stop the opposing players dead in their tracks.

I remember the "good old days," before Edwards, when the Cougars rarely won a football game.  The Richards building now sits on the old field, which was easily visible on the right, as one passed by the old "Y" bell, descending down the steep concrete steps leading to the Smith Fieldhouse. 

There were no booming advertisements to annoy pure fans, but then, all we had was the 8-track system, remember?

Rarely did the Cougars win a game in those days, (1963-1965) but I attended games anyway, just because I enjoyed watching football.  When the new stadium was built, I was employed by the University to help move sod to the new field.  It was a great summer job, and in the fall I enjoyed watching games on grass that I helped plant.  

Advertising still had not made inroads to the P.A. system. 

Then magic began to happen.  In the mid-60's Tom Hudspeth was head coach and LaVell Edwards was a defensive line coach.  Virgil Carter was the first great BYU quarterback, then Gary Sheide and Gifford Nielsen came along in the mid 70's.  Edwards, having been made head coach, had things rolling. 

If you follow BYU football you know the rest of the story, and advertising is now a big, big, big, part of the game, for sure.

Last Saturday, I went for a half-time walk around the inside of the stadium, and to my surprise, Sonic Drive-in has no stands set up to sell their goodies.  They are missing a golden opportunity to make some big profits, for sure. 

After being indoctrinated so vigorously, fans would eagerly pay super inflated prices for a Sonic burger. 

Anyway, regardless of one feels about Sonic Drive-in third downs, it was our team's first year of independence, and it was fun to watch them on the home field with some of my wonderful family.  "Go Cougars."

4 comments:

Tamara Anderson said...

I love that you love BYU football so much! I remember when we worked at the PO together one summer, at lunch you were so excited and you asked me if I knew what next month was. Of course I was thinking, hummm, August, school. But NO, your answer was, "BYU Footbal"! Of course! How could I not know that! Lots of good times watching BYU football games! This is a major part of your life! Maybe next year you can meet Julie at a football game! Keep the tradition alive!

Anonymous said...

It was so fun this year going to the games! I love this post. For me, the most memorable game was when BYU beat the Miami Hurricanes in 1984, the year they won the National Championship. (I think it was '84) Of course, every game is memorable as long as you eat a cougar dog during half time, right? Mike

katie said...

I didn't know that you helped with the field....no wonder you LOVE byu football!
Good memories!

M W said...

It's unbelievable how commercialized everything has become now-a-days. Unfortunately, money is what drives college sports like it drives so many other activities. According to this article, the Cougars and the Big East Conference parted ways over TV coverage http://www.sltrib.com/csp/cms/sites/sltrib/pages/printerfriendly.csp?id=52973619