Wednesday, November 24, 2010

NOW, THAT WAS A SNOWSTORM!

I woke up this morning to 2 1/2" of snow on my deck, and just a dusting on the sidewalks - not much accumulation after yesterday's news media hype. It is cold outside though, and the weather people got that prediction right.

I remember the snowstorm of 1967 in southern Utah. Bev and I were newlyweds, and I was the music teacher in the Monticello school system. I woke up, got ready to leave for work, opened the front door and a wall of snow greeted me. I turned on the radio and got the news that school had been cancelled.

The storm laid down enough snow to cover my VW Beetle completely, and only the antenna gave any indication where the car was. My next door neighbor was a Geologist. He drove a large Ford 4 x 4 pickup, and he couldn't get it to move. After a day or so a snowplow with a huge blade came down the street. I approached the driver and we attached a large chain from the snow plow to the back axle of the VW, and pulled it up and over the snow onto the road.

The wind blew so hard that the snow piled up to 12' along the sides of the roads leading into town, and it piled up to the roof on the backside of our house. NOW, THAT WAS A SNOWSTORM!

2 comments:

Sherry said...

I'm glad this was a disappointing storm!

All in a Day said...

WOW! That sounds like one awesome storm. I thought being homebound for a couple of days was bad! Ha ha. For some reason though, I thought that they completely buried your VW. That the snow plow just went by and covered it up! Ha ha. Funny, my memories probably went wild cause I don't think I have heard that story since I was really little. Hee hee. NOW I know the truth! Glad you guys didn't get dumped on. I thought it was going to be really bad too. WE are sitting at about 17 degrees right now. Should warm up the next couple of days. Good luck and stay warm!