Tuesday, November 16, 2010

ZUCCHINI

Well, I guess why I call this blog "Grandpa Zucc," is because Zucchini is the only vege I can really grow successfully. Actually, I grew one heck of a potato crop this year. Actually, my tomatoes usually turn out good also.

I tried strawberries this year, but I have since found out that the birds love them as much and maybe more than humans. I tried several things to drive them away. I even built a scarecrow with aluminum pie tins hanging from the arms, but after a couple of hours the birds used the poor stick-man's arms to rest upon.

I went to Lowe's home improvement store and bought a bird net and carefully covered the strawberry patch, using the provided pegs to securely attach the netting to the ground. The next day, I approached the patch and, to my surprise,I actually caught a bird happily feeding himself under the net. I think he was probably more surprised to see me than visa-versa. He squawked as loud as he could and finally wiggled himself free from under the net, but did he fly away forever? No he just went about 10 feet to the fence, and just mockingly looked at me, jumping up and down, waving my arms.

It must have been quite a sight, and I hope none of the neighbors saw this spectacle. Ha-ha. Next spring, I will try to grow something else in their place. I'm thinking of peppers.

No comments: