Tuesday, November 23, 2010

FASHION PLACE VS. SOUTH TOWNE

Welcome Annie to this blog, and anyone else who wants to share a comment.

On my mind this day is the lack of Christmas decorations in the Fashion Place Mall. They have done so much remodeling this year and have improved the mall's physical appearance, but somehow the holiday decorations are few and far between, as is the Christmas spirit.

Hanging from the center skylight in front of Macy's are 4 columns of lights, and a big wreath. Santa's sitting stool in front of Dillards, is sort of unimpressive. Decorations in the storefront windows are few. The only "Merry Christmas" signs I saw were in the window of "The Tie Shop," and in a children's shop on a couple of hanging stockings.

I started my mall walking about 9:30 am. In the halls were a sparse number of old people, obviously hoping that, by a little bit of exercise, they could extend their life expectancy somewhat. The thought went through my mind that I was among the youngest, and most healthy of these creatures, and this thought actually made me feel like quickening my pace, which I did. Ha ha.

A red suited Santa Clause was not making his way down the hall to met anxious followers, for there were none.

Of interest, about halfway through my walk, a blond fellow in his mid-twenties, wearing sun glasses, entered the mall. He was dressed totally in white, except for a red belt and black shoes. He moved fast, waving his arms periodically, talking out loud to himself, and making jerky head gestures, as if he were supercharged on meth. He stopped and talked to a couple of kiosk vendors, a couple of Hispanic cleaning ladies, and a mall cop. This whole scene was quite a contrast to all the old people, walking slowly and deliberately - by the way one of them actually smiled at me.

Now, the mall cop was an interesting character also. He must have been 6'8". He was wearing his full cop uniform, including a brown wide rim hat, the kind that "Smoky the Bear" wears. He had a very friendly but docile face, and his walking movements, although slow, were very dignified. His demeanor, to me suggested disappointment, that maybe he had been expecting excited children in the mall, waiting to sit in Santa's lap.

In contrast to my Fashion Place Mall experience, is my experience in walking in the South Towne Mall. This is the place to go this season if you want a delightful Christmas experience. As I walked South Towne, last Thursday, I noticed the abundent decorations throughtout the mall and it's accompaning stores, Penneys in particular.

Santa was being escourted to his seat by two security people, and at least 100 kids were in line waiting to place their requests with him. The upcoming noon concerts were well advertized, and the performing stage was set up, as were the chairs.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to all of you, and I hope your celebrations are at least as appropiate and happy as mine.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

I'm not sure what "appropriate celebrations" are? Could you elaborate? haha!