Thursday, December 2, 2010

YOU TOO CAN BE CONSIDERED AN EXPERT





Reading the newspaper can be interesting, at times. An article in today's paper stated that a new study suggests there are a mind-blowing 300 sextillion stars. Frankly, I had never heard of the word, sextillion. For us earthlings, the calculation is 3 trillion times 100 billion.

Wow! Actually, I am impressed with glory of the night skies. My expertise consists of stepping out onto my back deck, and trying to locate the Big Dipper. I can find several of the constellations, and some of the planets. Actually, I can find Draco the Dragon curling up and around the Little Dipper. You can find it too, as soon as your eyes become adjusted to looking at dimmer stars.

For people like me, Grandpa Zucc, one of the best astronomy guides is the Astronomy Merit Badge book published by the Boy Scouts of America. It deals with all the really cool basics. I found that as I point out heavenly objects, both grandchildren and adults think I am really knowledgeable on the subject. Ha ha.
Believe me, if you can locate just a few of the basic objects in the heavens at night, you too can be considered an "expert."


















2 comments:

Dan said...

I have the constellation Sagittarius represented in moles on my belly. I can find it a lot easier in the sky by looking at my own little "cheat sheet".

All in a Day said...

Dan, you crack me up!
Dad, I will have to check out the BSA merit badge book, they actually have some cool star charts at the scout office too.