Monday, February 27, 2012

He Plays with a Feeling


In our family, music is a big part of life.  The gift of playing the piano with both hands comes through Grandma zucc's side.  I can play with either the right or the left hand, but when it comes to playing with both, I am as clumsy as a Bozo (namely a dunce or a fool) on a bus.  Brendan, on the other hand, seems to have a natural talent for piano playing.  Even though he is just beginning, he plays with a feeling beyond his years.  

Dancing seems to be natural talent, especially when the girls are prompted by the X-box.  Not to long ago, Mike brought his Wii to our home and hooked it up to the 40" LCD screen.  You should have seen how his 4 preteens danced - pretty impressive, to say the least.  
  

When I was a youngster, I did the bebop.  These young adults are 40 times the dancer I was; however, in college, I took a ballroom dance class and really enjoyed it.  In looking back, I was more interested in playing the string bass in dance bands than I was in dancing.  I played for stake Gold and Green balls and school dances.  The most memorable stake dance was in a place called Dragerton (now East Carbon), about 60 miles south of Provo.  I asked Bev come with me and my string bass, and somehow the 3 of us  were able to all fit into my VW Beetle.  We must have looked like Bozos in a Beetle, ha ha.    


The most memorable school dance I played for was a formal occasion held in the Sky Room of the Y Center, now the Wilkinson Center.  In those days, only basic rhythms could be used at BYU.  We started with the waltzes, fox trots etc.  moving to Latin rhythms.  Bossa Nova was the rage of the time, so we did one.  During the piece, we were politely asked to play more modest music, so we moved back to the basics. 

On this occasion, Tammy got the feel of the music and joined in the fun.


Julie and Belana and not only good dancers, but both are becoming quality singers.  This is evidenced by Julie winning a local contest for a music scholarship, and Belana singing in the Symphonic Choir.  

3 comments:

katie said...

Any time you wanna jam, you can come over. We tell the kids they can't play it on school days or sunday, but it's open for you anytime.

Mike

katie said...

Those Andersons know how to MOVE! Brendan makes me smile.

Tamara Anderson said...

LOVE Just Dance 3 and yes I am awesome at it! Ha ha ha ha! Great times! Brendan really enjoyed playing for you and grandma, he loves playing the piano. It is nice to hear him play as well. Musical jeans! Ha ha ha ha!