Friday, April 8, 2011

DEVELOPING LEADERSHIP SKILLS

Scouting is such a great opportunity for young men to develop their leadership skills.  And in the process a lot of fun can be had for families.  Moms and Dads can participate in supporting their scout units, in capacities of not only being leaders, but also by helping their scouts achieve important developmental goals. 

I so admire Dayle and Tammy for actively supporting their kids in scouting.  During our trip,
I was invited to attend one of Brendan's pack meetings. 


As I walked into the door of the school, the first thing I saw was Dayle giving a PPI to a parent.  This was so impressive, and during the course of the meeting he interviewed several sets of parents.

He then came over to the rope tying table and helped some Cubs work on their knots. 

Little did I know that Dayle Jr. was a Den Chief.  He did a fantastic job of instructing the younger Cubs. 

He even taught me how to tie the bow-line and a sheep's bend.  I had learned these knots many years ago when I was a scout master, but because of lack of practice, I had forgotten how.  I was not an easy student to teach, but somehow I managed to finally get it right. 

Tammy even tried her luck at tying knots.

After the knot tying session, we then moved into the hallway and there, Dayle Jr. pretended to be drowning in water.  Each Cub was then assigned to coil a long rope, and toss it to save Dayle.  One of the Cubs, when he tossed the rope, didn't have his other hand on the end of the rope, so the whole thing ended up next to our drowning Dayle, and I suppose, in real life, a rescue would not have been made. 

At the end of the meeting, Tam and I had someone take our picture.  I think that we are smiling because we both know the kids are doing the right things through scouting.  we really enjoying being together also!




















1 comment:

Tamara Anderson said...

Dad, this was a GREAT post! I didn't realize how many great pictures you took. Thanks. It was a really fun night and I did learn some knots. I believe that they are swimming somwhere in my memory and I don't know if I could recall them but I could with help. Thanks for also helping they boys learn knot tying. It was a lot of fun! I sure love ya!