Friday, February 4, 2011

TWO EXPERIENCES WITH JOE



THIS GUY EVEN LOOKS LIKE JOE

It was the month of January, 1990 in a classroom of Mount Jordan Junior High School.  My son Joe was of the right right age to learn about hunter safety.  So he enrolled in the Utah Hunter Safety Course, taught by one of the Division of Wildlife instructors.

The instructor was from the Manti area and had an interesting accent.  As you may have guessed from past posts', I and my wife are trained singers.  If anything, we try to emulate, with our singing voices, the "English accent."

I'm sure that our speaking voices have taken on the values of the local in which we live, but listening to this particular instructor was so entertaining that I just had to write down the words that he spoke, and my interpretation of them.  I have a couple pages of them, but I will give you just a few, so here they are:

Ah              -          I
Stort          -          Start
Ma             -          My
Da             -          Did I
Are            -          Our
Em            -           Them
De             -          The
Fur            -           For
Dra           -           Dry
Pars          -           Pores
Dis            -           This
Ta             -           To
Shar          -           Sure
inda           -           Into
Day           -           They
Ay             -           Hey
Wanna      -            Want to
Keels         -           Kills
Morksmanship   -   Marksmanship

OK!  His instructions might have sounded like this,

"Ta stort, I wanna wheelcame ya all inda dis morksmanship class fur beginners.  Da tell ya day deer wanna run ween day see ya, fur shar?  Yar keel most be dra and clean, cause ya wheel hayve ta clean em." 

No kidding!  His accent was this heavy, and I had to write his words down because he was so entertaining. In fact, he noticed me taking serious notes.  I believe he thought I was really interested in the content of his presentation.  Ha ha.

Joe never really got into hunting, as Mike his brother did, but we really had some good times on the west desert.  One time we had been shooting our 22 caliber rifles.  On the way home, driving on I-15, we spotted a lot of para gliders over the Point of the Mountain, so we drove the short distance to the top to get a closer look.

A flying club was rendezvoused and one of the members, a lady, all dressed up in leather flying gear, came to greet us.  She was nice enough to explain what flying meant, and to answer our questions.  All of a sudden, a cry was let out by one flyer.  We all looked up, and a kite was wildly out of control, and was quickly falling to what appeared to be a terrible accident.

Just before hitting the ground, the kite pulled out of it's fall, and went zooming off.  The leather clad lady, proudly proclaimed that the flyer was the leader of the club, and was an expert.  She told us his nickname was, "The Viper."

Both Joe and I were very impressed with the expertise of "The Viper."  Anyway, he made a nice, turning loop, then smoothly dropped down about 10 feet from us.  He looked at Joe and said in a loud voice, "Hey kid, want a ride?"  Joe quickly said, "No way!"  The Viper then quickly and gracefully flew off.



  PARA GLIDERS AT THE POINT OF THE MOUNTAIN - UTAH

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Haha! I think Jeff would have totally taken the viper up on the offer!