Tuesday, February 15, 2011

YOU GUYS MAKE MY DAY



YOU'VE GOT TO LOVE THOSE LEGO'S

It always amazes me how kids of all ages love to play with Lego's.  And, without exception they love to display their creations (note the photo above).  Really, even the young kids will build something from scratch, and they will display their little creations on either the book shelf or the end tables.


My two granddaughters from Washington are featured in this photo taken several years ago.  My how their appearance has changed.  Nowadays they wear makeup, and dress fancy. 


Julie and I became great friends, when, at the age of 6, at a family reunion, I noticed she was having kind of a hard time.  So, I made her my buddy.  We even made up a song together, "We are the Hugging Bears."  I also made sure she and I served on the same cooking detail assignments.  Her mother was aghast at the sight of her standing on a stool, whipping hot potatoes with an electric blender.  I had to assure Mom that I had everything under control, ha ha.  But, you know, giving a little bit of responsibility to kids is what they need to give them that wonderful thing called confidence. 


Belana and I bonded for the first time, I believe, when Grandma and I visited the Anderson home in Aberdeen, not too long after that memorable reunion, she and I went to a park along the waterfront at the edge of the town.  After shaking the wobbly wooden wharf with all our might, we ended up pretending to be pirates on a beached row boat nearby.  Of course, Belana was the captain of the ship, and were were attacked by a band of vicious mermaids, and we bravely fought them off.


At the house, both girls loved to play 'waitress.'  Grandma and I would pretend to go to MacDonald's, and the girls would take our orders.  It wasn't long before they got tired of taking hamburger orders, so they pretended to become entrepreneurs, and opened a Mexican restaurant, which they named, "Garnacia's."  This was a great place, that served any kind of steak you could ever imagine.  Belana especially loved to serve steak and eggs for breakfast.


Well, those really were wonderful days, but I think the best of times are yet to come.  I do enjoy the company of my grandchildren, even if they are all growing up.  You guys make my day! 
 

2 comments:

katie said...

I miss those girls! Cute picture.

All in a Day said...

Those are also some of their most precious memories. Thanks for loving my kids.