Saturday, February 26, 2011

TYPICAL LOOK OF THE 1960'S


Hi, everyone!  Grandma and I are busy getting ready for our trip to Washington state.  We will be flying this time, in fact we booked our flight in the fall of last year, and we are really glad we did as the cost of gasoline is now skyrocketing.  We plan to interrupt our stay with the Anderson's, by going to Portland for a couple of days, to see family and friends.

Have you ever heard of Dent Mowrey?  We found out that his works are located in the Portland Public Library, so we plan to to do some research and hopefully get some copies.  Dent Mowrey was a concert pianist in his time, and his original compositions, even though not well known, are playable, showy, and are a listening pleasure.  He is now gone from this life, but his works will live on.

In Portland, we will probably visit Bob's Red Mill.  It is like Lehi Roller Mill, but much bigger.  A lot of their grain products are located in our local grocery stores, but visiting the actual production site is always lots of fun.

Portland is one big, honking place.  I understand that it is attracting hoards of people in their mid-twenties, even in this time of recession.  I hope it doesn't turn into the kind of city San Francisco did during the 1960's.  Remember the love children?
Peace signs were in




Typical look of the 1960's
 
Another place I love to visit in Portland is the Klackamas Town Center Mall.  This place makes our local malls look small.  I especially like to shop in J.C. Penny's, because they have a huge 'big and tall' department.

Anyway, Tammy always asks me what we might want to do during our visits to Olympia, and I always reply, "We just want to see the kids do their stuff."

I plan to take some pics on our trip, and as always, I like to photograph odd and unusual things.  I will keep you posted as to our adventures, so be sure to visit this blog often during the next two weeks. 

1 comment:

All in a Day said...

We are SO excited for you guys to come. I hope it doesn't snow too much while you are here! :) It is still white. I was thinking the rain would come today, but I was wrong! I am sure we will have a GREAT time. See you very soon. Love ya!