Saturday, March 26, 2011

THE GIFT OF MUSIC

A very exciting event that took place during our visit to Portland.  We discovered Dent Mowrey's original piano compositions at the Multnomah County Library in downtown Portland. 


Multnomah County Library in Portland.


Oregonians waiting for the gate to open.












We had previously tried to obtain his piano works from  publishers, but none were available to buy; nor were they even listed in our local Utah music stores.  Also there are no recording of his works.
Bev had studied some of his works under her former piano teacher, Dorothy Miller, who studied under Mowrey.
In fact, when Bev was only in the 7th grade, she went to her teacher's recital in Mowrey's studio, on the rooftop of the old downtown Pacific building.  She actually met him and shook his hand.
    I, Grandpa Zucc, love Mowrey's compositions because they are fun to listen to, and are very showy. They would be excellent for intermediate students to play for recitals, and they would be the kind of music I would personally compose if I were as talented as he.
    Mowrey has a Utah connection in that he was born in Ogden, but, after age 12, the family moved to the northwest.  I wonder if?  Anyway, the gift of music he left the world is of great worth.  If you would like more information about this gifted but relatively unknown and artist/composer, please click on the following link:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dent_Mowrey

Dent Mowrey 1886-1960




I hope that one day the world will discover Dent Mowrey.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that is so amazing that you were able to get a bunch of his music. can't wait til my girls start playing some of it. Mike

Annie said...

i will expect to hear some at a piano recital one day! that is very cool.

katie said...

I too think it's very cool. The picture of Dent makes it look like he was a very frazzled man. Hopefully his music will be heard one day soon!

Unknown said...

So Mom and Dad found this music the SAME day they met Bob. They came back and they were on cloud 99! It was very exciting! I cannot wait to get some more Dent Mowrey music into my collection. Thanks Mom for what I already have. I think it is SO cool that you actually met him. I didn't know this fact. His music is very fun and we will enjoy it for many years to come for sure! I am just amazed at how talented people are.

All in a Day said...

Haa ha. OK, well that previous comment was from me! I didn't know Dayle had an account. Hummm, the things you learn about your kids.

Anonymous said...

It was so nice to come across your blog. I'm Dorothy Miller's granddaughter, and very much remember listening to her play and teach Dent's music!