Monday, March 21, 2011

A MARVELOUS SIGHT, INDEED!


The 737
 I thought about not saying anything about our method of transportation on our trip to the great Northwest, but when I saw what great photos I had taken, I had a change of heart.  This is the very aeroplane, a 737, that we boarded at the Salt Lake International Airport.  I really like the color combination of blue and red.  It kind of reminds me of BYU and Utah colors.  By the way, "Go Cougars" in the NCAA basketball tournament, and really (it hurts me to say it), but I wish the Utes the best of all in their new conference. 

It really is too bad, that the Mountain West Conference was not able to keep these two schools, plus Texas Christian.  With the addition of Boise State, it would have been a fantastic conference.

I found the sign below, in the airport by the Southwest desk.  I remember my mother reminiscing on the "Great Depression," and saying that it was only a depression if you didn't have a job.  Then she said that she and Dad always had work.


I do hope some politician does step forward and does the right thing for the economy in this country.


The pilot put the plane in gear and the mighty engines roared.  Soon we were at 37,000 feet, and Sea-Tac was only 1 1/2 hours away.

  How one reads all those gadgets in the cockpit, I'll never know. 


The door to the cockpit was open, only while we were sitting on the ground, but I couldn't resist taking these pictures. 
In the early 1960's, while visiting McCoy AFB in Florida, I got to sit in the pilot's seat of a B-52.  The instrument panel was flabbergasting to me.  My companion and I were then privileged to stand on a runway and watch as a B-52 took off.

  The wings were so long that they actually flapped, and it appeared that small wheels were attached at the wingtips to keep them from touching the pavement.  While standing there, I witnessed a spy plane, the U-2, take off.  It accelerated a short distance than with a roar, went almost straight up - a marvelous sight, indeed.

In contrast, the modern driving habits of my offspring is demonstrated rather tastefully in this next photo.  Notice the driver is able to make difficult maneuvers without hands on the wheel.  Good thing the traffic light is not red, or we would have been in trouble. 


The van

As I pulled away from Tam & Dale's Church, I just had to take a picture of this road sign.  I couldn't help thinking of the "gold plates."  Could it be that the church in Olympia is so poor that they could only afford the steel variety?  Ha-ha. 


The "Steel Plates"



4 comments:

All in a Day said...

Dad, you are really good at writing your blog. I really enjoy your writing style and sense on humor. Oh, you realize that the green light is the left turn light and we were stopped waiting to go straight? Man, you really know how and when to take pictures. I love it! :) And Hey did you see the DEER in the road right outside our church building too? Crazy stuff going on here in Olympia huh? Ha ha ha.

Voice of Reason said...

I'm impressed with Tammy's ability to drive no-handed. Maybe Rhonda can help her master her skill. I.E. driving with her eyes closed.

low bass said...

"Now that the Utes and Cougars have parted company and the team in blue is now in the Catholic (West Coast) Conference for basketball, etc (except football) it will open up all new rivalry conbinations.

"We'll be taking a plane within the next couple of months ourselves. I can remember back when the first commercial jetliner landed at the old Salt Lake Airport. There was a 2 day open house for all us civilians to tour and be in awe of the new Boeing 707 jetliner." Mike Wilson

Anonymous said...

this was really cool. and i can't believe that the TSA didn't arrest you for taking those pictures of the cockpit with the pilot/co-pilot there. whew! Mike (son)